The Uniting Church in Anne St. is one of Broome’s oldest properties and classified by the National Trust. It has been part of Broome since the great pearling days at the beginning of last century.
The church was built in 1925 and designed in the Broome style. It is square with open verandahs on three sides. The side walls roll back on tracks to allow the breeze to blow across, but it can be sealed up safely in the cyclone season.
The story began in 1897 when Oliver Hogue, just returned from the north, reported to the shocked W.A. Presbyterian Church, that appalling neglect and degradation were the accepted way of life in the north.
The Presbyterian Moderator, the Rev. J.C. Fordyce, offered himself to establish work in Broome, the world’s richest pearling grounds and known as ‘the worst town in Australia’.
In 1910 he arrived, acquired the land in Anne St. and erected the manse at the cost of 600 pounds. Worship was held in the original building on the wide latticed verandahs, and was called the Verandah Church. The office, lounge and dining area were also located on the verandah.
Today the verandahs are built in and air-conditioners have been added to some rooms. This building was used as a manse until 2008 and is now used for the Op Shop, Sunday School and other activities.